Projector light hurts my eyes!!

I have never used technology before in the classroom, so now I have the mimio hooked up with a projector. The projector is ceiling mounted, but I still continue to have a major headache during my lesson. Is there a way around this bright light?!!

mvitale's picture
Submitted by mvitale on Sep. 16, 2009

Comments & Collaboration (14)

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Projector Light

Hi

Sorry to hear your situation. I do not get affected like you as I never seem to get the light strike my eyes directly with ceiling mounted projectors.

Is it possibly because I am very short? I am about 1,54 m tall.

You are probably much taller and your eyes could be directly in the projector light path when you are standing at the board and you turn around to address the class (I presume you are a teacher). This will seriously affect your eye health WITHIN A VERY SHORT time. Not worth it, in my opinion! ......and I am a great fan of mimio.
I realise my eyes are beneath the strong light path. I used to experience what you are going through when I used to use a desk height data projector. The light is too powerful for the eye. So try to get the ceiling mount adjusted so the projector is a bit higher up and the light is mostly above your head. The whiteboard is probably fixed. You have to apply the physics of light projection here.
Don't know if this will help?

• Posted:
    Apr. 30, 2016
joelene
Posted by
Joelene Juries
Downloads: 1

Best bet?

I have no ability to change the white board to non glare or get a new projector, so I guess I will be mindful to use soft color backgrounds to reduce glare. The students have complained more than I do.

• Posted:
    Apr. 12, 2013
marcher@ndpma.org
Posted by
marcher A
Downloads: 86

projector

I've been using a short throw projector and don't find the hot spots to be a problem.
Regarding the different types of markerboard surface. If you are writting on it with dry erase markers keep in mind the higher the gloss level the better the eraseability. If you go with a matte surface the better the projection quality but you may experience some eraseability issues.

• Posted:
    Sep. 17, 2010
Julie McComb
Posted by
Julie McComb
Downloads: 113

short throw projector

With the short distance from the board, short throw projectors have to work at a significant angle, therefore there is not a "hot spot" like a traditonal projector. You get a great image, better experience for the mimio user and the glare is reflected away (usually toward the floor for ceiling or wall mounted projectors). The closer the projector can be, or the shorter the throw, the better the experience for the teacher and students. Sanyo makes the shortest throw projectors (Ultra-short throw) that I have seen, but they are pricey.

• Posted:
    Aug. 25, 2010
zacaruk
Posted by
John Zacaruk
Downloads: 56

projector glare

I have had the same problem in the past. I think the mimio pad would be best for you. However, this does not eliminate the glare for students. I do not know if there is a matte white board but there should be. My only other suggestion is sunglasses.

• Posted:
    May. 17, 2010
langstont@unionpsd.org
Posted by
Tracy Langston
Downloads: 6

Programming your stylus

Programming your stylus buttons so you don't have to be right at your board all the time, and also a mimio pad sounds like it would be very useful to you!

• Posted:
    Mar. 28, 2010
mebennett
Posted by
Mary Ellen Bennett
Downloads: 7

We are looking at the

We are looking at the ultrashort throw projectors from Hitachi or Epson. We hear that the glare is lowered considerable with this type of projector. The sales people from Hitachi also told us that the lumens (brightness) for projectors are being limited in the EU due to complaints from teachers. Just wait until the first lawsuit for vision damage from projectors is filed here in the states.

• Posted:
    Mar. 22, 2010
educacher
Posted by
educacher
Downloads: 20

Perhaps you would do better

Perhaps you would do better with a mimio pad! That way you would have all of the itneractivity without the light.

There are ultra short throw projectors on the market that set just a few inches from the board. They normally mount above the board but can below. The good news in addition to no light in your eyes is that they don't cause the shaddows that are inherent with projectors - especially those on the short throw arms!

• Posted:
    Jan. 22, 2010
bethmachalldwyer
Posted by
beth machall-dwyer
Downloads: 66

bright light

I have found using a soft color as a slide background helps when I am looking at the board. I try to stay off to one side or the other when I am facing the class.

• Posted:
    Nov. 27, 2009
Linda Schmitt
Posted by
Linda Schmitt
Downloads: 27

Forgot Your Password?  

Why Become a Member?
 Find Content
Search our extensive library of lesson plans for interactive whiteboards or share your own favorites with others.

Get Interactive
Become involved in discussions on our forums, or start your own Mimio Group for sharing files and ideas.

Learn More
Get answers to your questions from Mimio Masters, or take live online or on-demand courses that suit your timetable.

Ask a Master

Question:

I'd like to create a quiz using the MimioVote. Do I need to have the MimioVote plugged in to my computer to be able to create and access the...

Tracy Tishion's picture
Mimio Master:
Tracy Tishion

Answer:

Good question! When you create a quiz or any type of MimioVote assessment, the only equipment you need is a computer with the MimioStudio software installed on it. You can open the notebook...

Read More

Register